Thursday 15 February 2007

What *is* she wearing?

Yesterday I left the comfort of my bed and went across to Manchester to see my friend Bex, her sister Vix, and go see a movie. Okay, so it doesn't sound that thrilling - But considering I haven't had that much of a social life lately it is a semi big deal.

The movie we saw - Back In Business, I'll talk about later in a review attempt but for now I'd like to concentrate on something that was the topic of conversation for most of yesterday afternoon while we were looking round the shops:

Fashion.

It seems to have become a huge part of our culture, without us (or at least me) even realising it. But I'm notso sure if that's such a good thing. Everyone being obsessed about what they are wearing. Sure there's supposedly clothes to suit everyone, but how easy is it to get them when they all have +£50 price tags on?

I personally like a range of stuff - from Soho type cult clothes to Next and Monsoon, but my tastes don't particually stray too far into goth land or the girly-girl type stuff. I have a balance. Technically though most of my clothes are just plain jeans, baggy tops and arty shirts - Mostly because the clothes I would like to have more of are just so expensive.

Bad fashion is also very popular right now, but I suppose this is getting into an opinion thing. Honestly though, those grey stripy hot pant things or tiny skirts with lycra leggings/tights, then those tube type grey smocks and tiny jackets that end roughly at the same line as your bra does - Why do people even want to wear them?

Because it's cool apparently. And why is it cool? Because fashion models and companies tell us it is I suppose. I don't actually know if I'd suit clothes like those I described in the previous paragraph - One thing's for certain though. You'll never catch me finding out...

However I don't kow if I suit some of the styles I do like either. Because when I'm looking round the shops I feel like such a fraud as I know I can't afford them, so I chicken out of trying them on.

My mum wants to have a girly day out in Manchester soon, just me and her - Go see a movie, show her the clothes I like then maybe treat me to a couple of things, make note of other styles then come back and design/make my own.

Though that sounds cheap, making my own clothes the way I want them does preserve originality. Which a lot of people seem to have lost since everybody is buying the same things. Yesterday I saw at least half a dozen people wearing the same black and white coat, and hundreds in the smocks, leggings and hot pants - And it wasn't exactly a boiling hot day so it's a wonder everyone wasn't freezing...Unless the blue hypothermia look is in this year and I've just not being told.

Now I wouldn't say I'm fat - I mean, I'm 5ft 1, weigh just over 7 stone, and my shoe size is about 3.5. So I'm a size 8, sometimes a 6 and very occasionally a 10. But when I do have the courage to try some clothes on, I still feel semi ugly and wrong. But that's not me - It's the fault of the designers who just seem to be making clothes to fit their 5 ft 9 models who are the perfect size 0 - So in other words people who are anorexic, bulimic or freaks of nature the celebrity way.

I just wish that I could walk into a shop to buy some trousers or jeans and not have to have them turned up when I get home, or I look at a really nice and for a change affordable top, and not have to leave it on the rack because the designer has stupidly decided that someone my shape is going to have a natural bust that will fit into their otherwise gorgeous top. Is that so much to ask?

I think not. But then I'm just a normal customer with a natural figure and not a lot of money - What on earth would I know about fashion?

1 comment:

copper stiletto said...

I can relate. Comming from typical clothings stores in the US, you actually have to ask for the "regular girl" sizes because they keep them in the back. And Im not large, just not a bean pole!