Monday 19 February 2007

Most useless documentary maker ever

Okay so i'll explain the situation.

On my estate one of the split level bungalows is being taken down and replaced with 3 two storey houses with roof space. I decided this would be an interesting project to film and get reactions from the builders and residents, then put a spin on it from a more general point of view about housing development and such.

Okay?

Simple.

Errrr not really. My mum is 100% against the building development and has being trying to stop it. She failed but nevermind. I personally don't know what I think, I'm on the fence - Or I would be if they hadn't pulled that down this morning along with the house's garage.

So anyway I just need to go down with the camera and talk to the builders - Easy peasy right? Again no.

I am really not that confident and I am pretty paranoid, so I thought I'd work my way up to that so would do some test shots looking down on the site from the back garden. So I did that, and the angles were rubbish so I deleted them.

My mum got pretty obsessed about them blocking the road, cue me sitting in the sitting room in the window taking photographs for her that I can't use because they aren't related to what I'm trying to get across in my documentary, and there's the glare of the window so they are...Well really crap.

Then someone got out a camera and started taking pictures back - Equals me freaking out, mum having a go at me and me throwing the camera at mum, mum dropping the camera, me getting blamed for mum being the worst catcher in the world, and then getting banned from using the camera.

Then the builders come up, and are naturally pretty pissed at the photography, mum yelled at them about various things she's not happy with to do with the site in general, then said I was trying to do a documentary (Cheers mum for putting all the blame on me when I didn't want to take anything inside in the first place) So I come down and explain as best I can what I'm trying to achieve and that I'm not that most confident of people, (Ha! Understatement of the year) and if I go and talk to them direct they won't mind. But now I'm tempted to just scrap the whole thing, I mean due to paranoidness I'll still be afraid of all the builders.

And now children, I think the lesson for the day is - Don't listen to my mum, and don't ever hire me to do a documentary, I'll probably get arrested...Or committed to a psych ward...

1 comment:

Ron Southern said...

Well,hell, it's hard being 17, not to mention 17 with nerves of steel! Not many of those in the world. Just shiver and shake and do it, and then get over it.